There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Testing - Chocolate Cut-out Ice cream Cookies

Recipe adapted slightly from Bake at 350. Makes 40-50 cookies.

1 - I tasted one cookie and immediately identified that they are meant to be the waffers of an ice cream sandwich. Ben and Erica suggested something like a frozen mousse or custard or even whipping the ice cream and refreezing it after applying it to the cookies. I wondered if a whipped cream icing like the one for this cake could work.

2 1/2 c. flour
1/2 c. cocoa powder
1 tsp cinnamon instant espresso powder
1 c. (2 sticks) salted butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
  1.  In a large bowl, beat together the softened butter with the sugar until the mixture is light and creamy. Beat in the egg until fully combined, then beat in the vanilla.
  2. Meanwhile in another bowl combine the flour, cocoa powder and cinnamon.
  3. In small quantities, slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, fully incorporating the flour into the butter between each addition. The dough will appear somewhat crumbly, but should stay together when pressed into a ball. 
  4. Press the dough into two disks, then wrap these in plastic and let rest in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes or up to 72 hours.
  5. Also put in a marble slab or pizza stone or even just a large plate in the freezer to cut the ice cream on.
  6. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheets with parchment paper. 
  7. Lightly flour your work space and a rolling pin, and roll out one of the disks of dough to about 1/4 inch thickness. If the dough is cracking or not staying together, knead with your hands until it's smooth and workable. 
  8. When cutting cookies, if using shaped cookie cutters, make sure to cut mirror images of each cookie to make the sandwiches. 
  9. Cut out as many cookies as you can from the dough, then press the remaining dough back into a ball and roll out again. Repeat until all dough is used. 
  10. Bake for 7-8 minutes, then remove to a cooling rack. 
  11. Once fully cooled put in the freezer for 15 minutes.
  12. Cut the vanilla ice cream into 1/2" slices, and on the cold marble slab, use the cookie cutters to cut out one shape for each cookie pair.

No comments:

Post a Comment