There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Sunday, July 6, 2014

Hot and Dry Barbecue Chicken - Test 1

http://bbq.about.com/od/rubrecipes/r/bl50617d.htm

1 - Delicious. Try rubbing on olive oil before applying the rub.
2 - Continues to be delicious. I omitted the garlic powder and liked it very much without it. And I spruced up the chicken-cooking part.

1/4 cup paprika
2 tablespoons salt, finely ground
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon mustard powder
2 tablespoons chilli powder
2 tablespoons ground cumin
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon cayenne
1 - 2 Tbsps vegetable oil
1 chicken, butterflied (also known as spatchcock)
  1. Mix all the seasonings and spices together. You'll only need a couple Tbsps per chicken and the rest keeps well in a tightly sealed container.
  2. Spachcock the chicken using kitchen scissors by cutting out the spine, opening the carcass and pressing firmly down on the breastbone to flatten the breast. 
  3. Massage the oil on both sides of the meat, then sprinkle on the seasoning (ironically rubbing it in just helps it stick to your hands and clumps it on the skin of the chicken). Allow it to mellow for 30 to 90 minutes in the refrigerator.
  4. On a gas barbecue, light it and close the lid, allowing the temperature to reach 500F.
  5. Turn the heat down to Medium or 325-350F turn off one of the elements to cook the chicken over indirect heat.
  6. Put chicken on bone side down. Close the lid and cook for about 40-50 minutes or, until the internal temperature of the thigh reaches 180F or, until juices run clear. 
  7. Once cooked put the chicken on a plate and tent for about 10 minutes for the juices to even out in the meat. Serve as desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment