There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Monday, September 1, 2014

Testing - Oeufs en cocotte

My sister very thoughtfully sent me a list of Julia Child's favourite recipes, and this was one of them. When I described it to Ben he was doubtful that it would be any good, but kept it to himself. When he ate it, he wolfed it down and was honestly shocked at how good this simple dish was. We've been having it at least once every weekend, ever since.

NOTE: my challenge is to find the ideal temperature to cook the eggs so that they are soft, yet cooked.

1 cup + 1 Tbsp crème fraîche
1/2 tsp salt
fresh ground pepper
1 tsp packed fresh herb, minced (dill is excellent and classic, thyme or basil is good)
4 eggs

  1. Lightly butter 4 ramekins.
  2. Fill half-way with water an oven-proof dish such as a lasagna dish and put in the oven. Pre-heat the oven to 375F.
  3. Mix together the crème fraîche, salt, pepper and fresh herb.
  4. Divide the creamy mix in half and divide the first half evenly between the four ramekins. Crack an egg into each ramekin so that it rests on top of the cream.
  5. Pop each ramekin into the hot water dish in the oven. They should be evenly spaced and not touching each other.
  6. Bake for about 11 minutes.
  7. Take out of the oven and immediately remove from the hot water bath or the eggs will continue to cook.
  8. Serve with toast cut into strips.

No comments:

Post a Comment