There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Pork and Grainy Mustard Stew - Published

NOTE: I used Pork Shoulder Butt Steak. Second try I used pork loin chops, which were not as tender as the Shoulder Butt.

http://www.canadianliving.com/food/pork_and_grainy_mustard_stew.php

1-1/2 lb pork braising cubes or pork shoulder blade boneless roasts, trimmed and cubed
1 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 onions, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
1 celery stalks, chopped
1 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 cup chicken stock
1/4 cup white wine
1 bay leaf
2 tbsp grainy mustard
1/3 cup fresh green peas
2 tbsp minced fresh parsley
  1. Toss pork with 1 tbsp of the flour. In Dutch oven, heat half of the oil over medium-high heat; brown pork, in batches and adding more oil as needed. Remove to plate.
  2. In same Dutch oven, heat remaining oil. Fry onions, carrots, celery, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.
  3. Add stock, wine, bay leaf and 1-1/2 cups water; return pork and any accumulated juices to pan. Bring to boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 45 minutes or until meat is tender. Discard bay leaf.
  4. Whisk together mustard, remaining flour and 2 tbsp water; stir into stew and simmer until thickened, 3 minutes. Stir in peas and parsley; heat through, 3 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment