There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Test 2 - Braised Mutton Shanks

http://www.food.com/recipe/slow-cooked-lamb-shanks-in-red-wine-168157
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/slow_cooker_braised_lamb_01950
http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/09/ask-the-food-lab-how-much-liquid-braising.html
1 - tried first the slow cooker method. Amazing!
2 - Oops, tried it with less liquid and it was not as good, too mutton-y, even for me. I think the liquid helps to balance the strong flavour of the meat somehow.
3 - Yup, made it again in the slow cooker, and it was delicious! Holiday and celebration type meal, which is fine given that a sheep only has 4 shanks. I reduced the amount of wine and it's just fine. It really does need all that liquid in the slow cooker.
4 - Delicious, but I think I forgot the salt and pepper! Once added afterwards it was good, but because of this omission I can't graduate the recipe to the third testing round.

4 (1 1/2 lb) lamb shanks
2 Tbsp flour (salt and pepper?)
Cooking oil or fat
2 large carrots, roughly chopped
1 onion, sliced
3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
2 bay leaves
2 sprigs rosemary (or thyme?)
2 cups red wine
2 cups meat stock
1 tablespoon soft brown sugar
salt & pepper (quantify how much of these)

  1. Mix together a good pinch of salt, pepper and flour to dredge the lamb shanks.
  2. In a large frying pan brown the lamb shanks on all sides in the oil; remove from the pan and put into the slow cooker or a large casserole dish if you're using the oven method.
  3. In the same frying pan put in the carrots, onions, garlic, bay leaves and rosemary and cook until nicely coloured.
  4. Deglaze with the red wine, then add the stock and the sugar. Bring to a low boil, stirring constantly.
  5. Pour the wine mixture over the lamb shanks.
  6. Cook on high in a slow cooker for eight hours OR; cover and put in a 325F oven and cook for 2 1/2 – 3 hours until very tender.
  7. Serve with mash.

No comments:

Post a Comment