There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Sunday, January 1, 2017

Crème Anglaise - Test 2

http://www.recettes.qc.ca/recettes/recette/creme-anglaise-3310
http://cuisine.journaldesfemmes.com/recette/322949-creme-anglaise-facile
http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/traditional-vanilla-custard/0441faec-b569-4b1d-87d3-782d73fc52d4

1 - I have never successfully made crème anglaise. It has always looked like finely scrambled eggs in sweet cream. In the new year, I will master this recipe, @*#$%&!
2 - @*#$%&! I buggered up again! Sweet scrambled eggs. @*#$%&! I think my mistake is that I expect it to become much thicker than it actually can be, so I cook it too long. It should come out as whipping cream, not as a thick custard.
3 - I finally did it! It is relatively simple, and it's just a matter of erring on the side of caution.
4 - Did it again! And actually 10-20 minutes is too long, so I will change that to "can take up to 10 minutes" or something. It was just on the verge of starting to curdle and it was 8 minutes on Low, but I recognize, especially on this stove, that every stove and every element is different.

1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup cream
1 Tbsp vanilla
4 egg yolks
1/3 cups sugar
  1. In a small saucepan, heat the milk, cream and vanilla over medium-high heat until just boiling, stirring constantly. Turn off the heat and set aside.
  2. In a bowl, whisk together the yolk and sugar until the yolk turns a pale yellow.
  3. Very slowly whisk the flavored dairy into the egg mixture. Do this slowly, to gradually increase the temperature of the egg and avoid making scrambled eggs with the hot liquid.
  4. Stir constantly over medium heat with a wooden spoon. Avoid boiling at all cost! In about 10-20 minutes, depending on your heat setting, the crème will thicken to a heavy cream and like whipping cream will leave a coating on the back of spoon.
  5. Pour the finished liquid right away through a fine mesh.
  6. Allow it to cool completely before serving. The cooled product will thicken even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment