There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Testing - Dairy-free coconut custard

1 - The custard set well. I actually baked it all together in a stoneware pot, which baked well but got messy when serving it up; it lost points on presentation. Once scooped out it filled 4 ramekins, not 6. We served it and had pots of cream and maple syrup we could pour, to taste, on our dessert, which elevated the dish.

(makes 6 4)
2 cups non-dairy milk (I used 'coconut' as in drinking, not the canned pure stuff)
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup shredded coconut
6 egg yolks
2 Tbsp. sugar (optional)
a pinch of salt
Cream (non-dairy or dairy) (optional)
Maple syrup 
  1. Heat the oven to 325F
  2. Heat the milk, vanilla, sugar and shredded coconut, remove from heat just before it boils. Pour into a measuring cup for liquids and set aside to cool a bit, about 10 minutes.
  3. Whisk the yolks a bit. To avoid making scrambled eggs, whisk in a bit of the milk at first - it's quicker and easier this way because it gradually warms up the yolks, and you'll be sure that the yolk is well diluted into the milk mixture before streaming in the rest.
  4. Scoop off any froth, then strain to get rid of any particles, to have a smooth texture. Stir in the shredded coconut.
  5. Pour into 6 4 ramekins and bake in a bain-marie (or a 9x13" glass pan filled 1/3 with water) until set at the edges, but slightly jiggly still in the centre, about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Refrigerate several hours before serving.
  6. Serve with small jugs of cream and/or maple syrup on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment