There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Monday, September 10, 2018

Test 1 - Saucisse Merguez aux lentilles à la tomate

https://www.merchant-gourmet.com/recipes/recipe/puy-lentils-with-spicy-sausages-and-tomato-sauce/

For 2 people

1 - To go with it, I roasted winter squash (a little oil, some chopped chives, a minced garlic, salt and pepper roasted 400F for about 40 minutes or until lightly browned). It's turned out to be the most balanced recipe I've made so far with the merguez we have had here on Pender. There is a sharp spiciness to the lentils that completely balances the fattiness of the sausage, and the sweet starchiness of the squash is an excellent counterbalance.
2 - Made it using crookneck squash (because it's what I had) employing the same cooking instructions as for the winter squash but slicing it into 1/4" pieces. It was very good although winter squash works best. Ben felt that the flavour is consistent with the first iteration, but I wonder what would happen if I reduced the wine before adding the rest of the ingredients, which will be my next attempt.

Start the squash first
1 small winter squash, cubed into 1-2" pieces (if skin is thick, remove it)
1-2 Tbsps good vegetable oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1 Tbsp chopped chives
Salt and pepper, to taste
Then start the lentil stew
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 red chilli, finely chopped (or a good pinch of red pepper flakes)
1/2 cup duPuy lentils
2/3 cup white wine
1 1/3 cups vegetable stock
1 400g can of chopped tomatoes
1 Tbsp tomato puree
1 bay leaf
Salt and pepper
Fry the sausage when the rest is ready and kept warm
6 merguez sausages (3 per person)

  1. This is a three part dish - baked cubed squash, served with a lentil stew topped with fried sausage.
  2. Pre-heat the oven to 400F. On a baking sheet, spread out the squash and drizzle with a little oil and sprinkle with chopped chives, minced garlic, salt and pepper. Roast for about 40 minutes or until lightly browned and fork-soft.
  3. In a saucepan cook the onion in the oil until starting to soften. Add the garlic and chilli for the last minute, or cook until the garlic becomes fragrant. 
  4. Add the white wine and bring to a simmer; reduce to a third cup, then add the lentils, white wine, vegetable stock, tomatoes, and bay leaf. cover and l Leave to simmer, uncovered, for 30-40 minutes or until the lentils are softened and the tomato sauce has thickened.
  5. Heat a fry pan (or cook on the BBQ or on a griddle). Rub the sausages with a little oil then throw them on. Cook for 5-8 mins or until nicely charred and cooked through. Remove the sausages and leave to rest for 5 mins. Serve the tomato lentils topped with 3 sausages per person and the squash gently steaming on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment