There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Thursday, November 8, 2018

Testing - Spicy Apple Chorizo Hash

https://food52.com/recipes/38594-spicy-apple-chorizo-hash

1 - It was ok, Ben seemed to enjoy it, but I felt a little disappointed in it. I thought the apple would lend more brightness to the dish. I also suspect that the chorizo meat I used wasn't the best, and may have been some sort of beef 'chorizo'. Still testing until I'm sure I've got the right stuff, or maybe a different kind of sausage?

2 Tbsps lard
1 large tart, crisp apple (about 1/2lb), 1⁄2-inch dice
2 large red potato (about 1/2 lb), 1⁄2-inch dice
1 Tbsps olive oil (divided, plus more as needed)
Salt and pepper, to taste
9oz raw Mexican pork chorizo
1 onion, coarse chop
1⁄2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 clove garlic, minced
4 to 8 soft-poached eggs (optional)
Salt and Pepper

  1. Heat the oil in a heavy bottom cast iron or non-stick skillet and add the apple and potato. Season with salt and pepper, toss to cover and spread into a single layer. Cook until potatoes start to brown, tossing once or twice to ensure even cooking. 
  2. Add chorizo to the skillet, breaking it up with a wooden spoon. Cook, stirring and breaking up chorizo, until lightly browned and beginning to look dry and crumbly, about 10 minutes. 
  3. Drain as much oil as possible. There should be about 2 Tbsps left.
  4. Add the onion. Cook over medium heat until softened, then add the garlic and the red pepper flakes. Cook another minute and turn off the heat. 
  5. Serve warm with poached eggs on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment