There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Tuesday, October 10, 2023

Naan Recipe No Yeast - Testing


1 - I did not use a mixer but did it by hand. I don't know if that is why I found the naan that I made to be touch and too dense? I may have to buy some to refamiliarize myself with the texture I'm looking for. I may be confusing the amazing aloo-naan we used to get in Vancouver at that place on Davey street (is it even still there?!?)

2 cups all purpose flour see notes for substitutions
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon sugar
¾ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon olive oil
¼ cup plain yogurt use cashew yogurt for vegan naan
¼ cup water add more as needed
Topping For Butter Naan
2 tablespoons butter
Topping For Garlic Naan
2 tablespoons butter
3-4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3-4 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1-2 teaspoons nigella seeds (kalongi) see notes for substitute

  1. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt to the stand mixer. Using the dough hook, mix the ingredients for 30 seconds on low speed. Alternatively, add the ingredients to a large bowl and mix well.
  2. Add 1 tablespoon of oil and all of the yogurt, and mix into the flour. Add ¼ cup water and start kneading on low speed, scraping the sides of the bowl. Add more water if needed, a tablespoon at a time. Knead for 2-3 minutes until you get a soft and stretchy dough.
  3. Add the remaining 1 teaspoon of oil and knead for another 30 seconds. If the dough looks sticky, add a teaspoon or two of flour.
  4. To rest and proof the dough, add it to the Instant Pot steel insert and set the yogurt mode for 30 minutes and cover with a glass lid. Or, you can simply cover the mixing bowl with a damp kitchen towel and set aside in a warm corner for 1 hour.
  5. Dust your hands with flour and transfer the dough onto a flat surface. Using a bench scraper or a chef's knife, divide the dough into 6 equal parts for large-sized naans or 8 equal parts for medium. Roll each dough ball in your palms to make a smooth ball.
  6. Using a rolling pin, apply gentle pressure and roll each dough ball into a large oval shape, about 8-inches long and ¼-inch thick, using as little flour as possible. If using nigella seeds, spread a few on top and roll once more to press them into the naan.
  7. Heat a non-stick skillet on medium-high heat. When hot, using a pastry brush, spread some water in the pan. Place the naan, topping side up, and let it cook till large bubbles start to form (about 1 - 1½ minutes).
  8. Flip the naan and cook on the other side for another 1 - 1½ minutes. Remove naan and brush with some melted butter or oil. Enjoy warm with your favorite Indian curry.
Alternative Method: Baked Naan
Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F. Prepare the naan as per instructions.
Arrange the prepared naan on two parchment-lined baking sheets and bake for 4-5 minutes, or until golden brown. To create a tandoor-like chaat, place each baking sheet under the broiler for 1-2 minutes.
Remove from the oven and immediately brush with butter, garlic topping and cilantro, depending on our preference.

No comments:

Post a Comment