There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Monday, June 17, 2024

Homemade Mascarpone - Test 1


This looks easy and there is agreement from multiple sources on the ratios, ingredients and methodology. I'm looking forward to it!

1 - Ok, I think this worked! At first I thought it didn't because the whey that dripped through is so thick it just looked like just thick cream. But the stuff left behind is wonderfully thick and just dry enough put with the fatty smoothness of mascarpone. But you know what? I'm also curious about the whey, I'm guessing it'll make the best whipped cream! I've only used pure whipping cream, and here, that's only with the organic stuff. I want to try it with the conventional whipping cream with is thickened with carrageenan, I think it is. I'd like to use only organic all the time, but so expensive and difficult to find. Sad, but true.

2 cups heavy cream
1 tablespoon lemon juice
  1. In a saucepan, slowly bring the heavy cream to a low simmer (the temperature should climax at 180° F and the goal is to try to keep it around there).
  2. Let simmer at 180° F for about 3 minutes then add in the lemon juice.
  3. Simmer for another 3 minutes, then remove from heat. Let cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
  4. Fill a small strainer with several layers of cheesecloth (I use three) and put a small bowl under the strainer.
  5. Pour the cooled mascarpone mixture into the cheesecloth and stick the entire bowl in the fridge overnight (mine only strained a few tablespoons of whey, but the mascarpone came out thick and creamy in the morning).

No comments:

Post a Comment