There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Saturday, July 20, 2024

Ice Cream / Gelato Base - Testing

Ice Cream Maker Instructions

1 - I've learned my lesson. Again. I followed the Recipes from Italy instructions but they were wrong for the kind of ice cream maker I have (see first link). The first YouTube link above (see the Real Italian Kitchen link below it) has way more milk for the amount of sugar. I'm altering the recipe to reflect this.
2 - It worked! I don't care if a recipe asks for 'lukewarm', in future I may try it at room temperature. I just realised I made it with too much milk and cream. I did find it a bit crystalized, so I think changing the ration of yolk to milk may help.

4 egg yolks medium size
¾ cup (150g) granulated sugar 
 1¼ cups (200g) 1½ cup (350ml) whole milk
 1¼ cups (200g) 1 cup (250ml) heavy cream 
lemon zest or vanilla extract optional

The Basic Preparation
  1. Whip the egg yolks with the sugar at maximum speed, until you have a soft fluffy cream (for about 5 minutes).
  2. Pour the milk in a saucepan and bring it almost to a boil, maintaing the temperature at 85°C (185 F). Cook for about 5 minutes. 
  3. Transfer the egg and fluffy sweetened cream to another saucepan. Pour in the hot milk slowly. Keep mixing while you do it. If you want to flavor your gelato, this is the time to add either grated lemon zest or vanilla extract or vanilla bean. 
  4. Put it back on the heat and cook for another 5 minutes.
  5. Turn off the heat and add the cold heavy cream. Mix really well. 
Using the Ice Cream Maker
  1. Make sure to store the KitchenAid 'freeze bowl' in the freezer for a minimum of 24 hours before getting started. Leave the freeze bowl in the freezer while you prepare your ice cream base. When you are ready to start the icing process, remove the freeze bowl from the freezer and set up the Ice Cream Maker attachment. NOTE: If you are making an ice cream style that requires you to heat the ice cream base, such as custard, you will need to let it cool completely before adding it to the freeze bowl.
  2. Before adding anything to the freeze bowl, set the mixer to the lowest speed at 'stir'.
  3. IMPORTANT: Make sure to start the mixer before pouring custard into the freeze bowl, otherwise the custard may freeze prematurely and lock the dasher.
  4. Gradually pour the ice cream custard into the freeze bowl. Mix 20-30 minutes, depending on your recipe or to your desired consistency.
  5. When the ice cream is mostly done, during the last 1 to 2 minutes, add any solids such as fruits, nuts, candies or chocolate chips.
  6. Transfer the finished ice cream into another container (never leave the ice cream in the freeze bowl once it's finished. Prying hard ice cream out of the freeze bowl with metal scoops or utensils may damage the freeze bowl.). 
  7. The Ice Cream Maker attachment will create a soft-consistency ice cream that can be enjoyed right away. If you want a firmer consistency, store the ice cream in a shallow airtight container in the freezer for 2-4 hours.
Pour the basic preparation into the ice cream maker and start it. It will take about 40 minutes, depending on the model. After the necessary time, your gelato is ready!
How to Make Gelato WITHOUT Ice Cream Maker
Pour the mixture into a gelato container and place it in the freezer for about 5 hours. Every 30 minutes you have to break the frozen surface. So remove from the freezer and mix for about 30 seconds using a hand whisk or an electric whisk on low speed.

No comments:

Post a Comment