There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Niçoise Zucchini Frittata - Untested

1 - I'm adapting Madhur Jaffrey's Parsi Omlate to more Provencal flavours.

1 lb zucchini, grated
3⁄4 + 1 tsp salt
1 medium onion, finely chopped (170 g)
1 medium potato, diced 1/4 inch pieces (8 oz)
2 + 1 Tbsps. olive oil
1 large tomato, chopped (8–9 oz)
2–3 garlic cloves, pressed
1⁄4 tsp ground black pepper
9 eggs
3 Tbsps. fresh basil, finely chopped
3 Tbsps. fresh parsley, finely chopped
120–150 g chèvre, crumbled
1⁄4 tsp baking powder

  1. Grate the zucchini and mix with 3/4 tsp of the salt. Leave in a colander for 30 minutes, then squeeze all the liquid out.
  2. Meanwhile, chop and measure out the remaining ingredients - it makes the rest much easier: prepare the onion and potato; chop the tomato; press the garlic; measure out the herbs; crumble the chèvre; break the eggs into a bowl; and measure out the salt and baking powder.
  3. Heat 2 Tbsps. of the olive oil in a 10-inch frying pan over medium heat.
  4. Fry the onion and potato until the onion is completely soft and the potatoes become just tender.
  5. Add the squeezed zucchini, tomato, garlic, and black pepper. Stir until the tomato becomes soft and most of its liquid has cooked away. Set aside.
  6. Whisk the eggs until frothy, then add the cooled vegetables, basil, parsley, and half the chèvre.
  7. Sprinkle in the baking powder, making sure it dissolves completely.
  8. Wipe the frying pan clean and add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. When the oil is hot, reduce the temperature to medium-low and pour in the egg mixture. Cover the pan and cook for 15–20 minutes, or until the centre is firm but maybe still a bit slithery.
  9. Meanwhile, lightly grease a dinner plate with a bit of butter for the next step.
  10. When the bottom of the pancake is brown, make sure it's loose from the pan. Upturn the plate on top of the pancake, hold the plate firmly in place with your hand, grab the handle of the pan and flip the pancake onto the plate, and remove the pan. It should just drop onto the plate. Set aside for a moment.
  11. Set the pan back on the stove-top, add the remaining Tbsp of oil and slide the pancake back into the pan. Cook the second side for about 5 minutes to get another nice brown crust. 
  12. Crumble the remaining chèvre over the top before serving. Can be served warm or at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment