There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Saturday, July 24, 2021

Pizza dough - PUBLISHED

I found this recipe posted years ago by Roy on Facebook and thought it would be worth a try. I vaguely remember having pizza he made and liking it.

1 - This makes a really good crust, nice and crispy!
2 - All of this works really, really well. I just need to work on my dough spreading skills.
3 - I noticed that the yeast pellets stayed whole in the dough this time. I'll check next time to see if the same thing happens. The dough seemed to rise just fine in the oven, but I wonder if I shouldn't dilute it in a little water before mixing it into the flour?
4 - I recently discovered that 1 cup of white flour weighs 120g. I had the recipe at 508g for 3½ cups which should be at 420g. So I'm trying that out. It also means I reduced the amount of water to 1¼ cups from 1¾. If this works, I will return the testing to Test 1. It worked, with caveats. The crust was far too thin. I divided the ball of dough in 2 as with the other quantity. I suspect it would be too thick if I used the whole ball of dough. I will increase the flour to 480g and try it again. Keeping it at Test 3.
5 - Used 520g flour and same amount of water, 1¼ cups. I also put the flour and salt in a bowl, made a depression and poured in the oil and the water, then added the yeast. I let the yeast dilute a bit, mixing the floury water a bit, and then kneaded the dough all by hand instead of the machine. The crust came out really good but full of big fat bubbles which made it a bit challenging to stretch out. I kneaded the dough in the bowl, and maybe it didn't allow for enough spreading of the yeast? I should knead it on the board I suppose.
6 - It's been a few times now that I've put in the dry active yeast into the flour mixture and it just remains the hard little pellets. I've tried dissolving it in some of the water first which seems much better. Also, the baking could be hotter for a crispy crust.
7 - Added info about how to do it all by hand.

Makes : 1 thick crust or 2 thin crusts

 4 cups (520g 480g 420g 508g) white flour + more as needed
2½ tsps. dry active yeast
1½ tsp salt
2 Tbsps. + more for brushing olive oil
 1¼ (?) cups warm water (105 to 110°F)

1/4 cup tomato sauce
Cheese of choice (80-100g)
Toppings of choice 
  1. Use some of the water (the ¼ cup is fine) to dissolve the yeast.
  2. If using a mixer, combine all the ingredients. With a dough attachment, turn on the machine to medium-low speed (Kitchen Aid = 2) 
  3. Let rest 2 min then mix another 30 secs.
  4. Remove and hand knead on a floured surface for at least 4 mins. NOTE also cover with flour before starting to knead. The dough is sticky! It will absorb the flour on the board, so add more flour to the board as it becomes too sticky.
  5. If mixing by hand, on a board or the counter, make a mound of flour, sprinkle on the salt, create a bowl in the center of the flour mound, and start adding the oil, water and dissolved yeast, combining with your fingers. 
  6. As when making pasta, the dough is sticky! It will absorb the flour on the board, so add more flour to the board as it continues to stick to your hands. Otherwise, it will be quite sticky to start but should become whole feel like slightly tacky ball of dough.
  7. Oil a bowl and put the dough in to rise. Cover with a damp cloth. Let rise for 1½ hours and a warm draft-free place.
  8. Put a pizza stone in the oven and preheat to 500°F for 30 mins (if no stone use a cast iron frying pan as preheat-sink and place dough on top of heated cast iron pan).
  9. While the oven and pizza stone are heating up, spread out dough by hand. Use a fork to pierce the dough all over, then brush with olive oil. 
  10. Put the toppings on.
  11. Turn down the temperature to 425°F and cook for 20 mins OR until the edges start to brown (note that the dough will cook another 5 on the counter as it cools).
  12. Let cool on rack or perforated pizza pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment