There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Monday, September 6, 2010

Untested - Lavender Shortbread Cookies

I really like the idea of using flowers in food. This past summer, I'd made a recipe for lavender cookies but failed to notice that it required fresh lavender flowers, and I only had dried. The cookies were excellent, but very, very faint on the lavender. There is another recipe I have not yet tried from the book Aroma: the magic of essential oils in food & fragrance. At this first stage of testing, I've already changed things from using a food processor to a mixer. I could likely do most of this by hand, but, gosh darn it, I've got a beautiful mixer that needs exercise!

4 oz sugar (½ cup + 1 Tbsp)
12 drops lavender essential oil
⅛ tsp salt
8 oz butter
1 large egg
12 oz (2 ⅓ cups) flour

  1. In a mixer, whisk together the sugar and lavender essential oil until it's well combined. 
  2. Add the salt and the butter, change the attachment to the mixing paddle, and mix until the butter is well incorporated.
  3. Add the egg and do the same; finally, reduce the speed and add the flour until the dough forms small pebble-sized pieces. 
  4. Press the dough together by hand, wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to 72 hours.
  5. Roll out the dough on a floured surface until 1/4 inch thick. Use cookie cutters or cut the dough with a knife, however you'd like them shaped. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and arrange the cookies on it, and refrigerate for another 20 minutes.
  6. Preheat the oven to 325°F. 
  7. Bake until the edges are just starting to turn golden, about 10 to 15 minutes. Scoop onto a cooling rack (optional : by a window with butterflies flitting amongst the flowers outside and the sun turning everything butterscotch coloured). Allow to cool completely to obtain the correct texture and flavour.

No comments:

Post a Comment