There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Friday, September 24, 2010

Untested - The Other Buttertart recipe

I wanted to compare this recipe with my sister's buttertart recipe to try and come up with a consistently successful one. Last Christmas when I tried to bake her tart recipe they had overcooked and the filling boiled over and dried out. They were still yummy, but I mourned all the gooey delicious filling that stuck to the bottom of the pan.


This butter tart recipe comes from Cindy Snetsinger in Brantford, Ontario, who got it from her grandmother. These butter tarts are runny - but not too runny - and delicious.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Ingredients:
PASTRY
2 cups flour
1 cup shortening
teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 tablespoon vinegar
2 tablespoons cold water
FILLING
1 egg
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup corn syrup
1 tablespoon melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup raisins (optional, or can be replaced with chopped pecans or walnuts)
Preparation:
Pastry

Blend the shortening and the flour with a pastry cutter, or two knives, until you've created a uniform mixture that is crumbly and about the size of frozen peas.

In a separate bowl, mix 1 egg, 1 tbsp white vinegar and 2 tbsp cold water. Add to shortening and flour mixture.

Mix all ingredients together, but only until just mixed and no more.

The key to flaky pastry is not to overhandle the dough.

For ease of handling, make a ball of the dough, wrap in cellophane and place in freezer for 10-15 mins. Roll out dough onto floured surface to about the thickness of a CD case.
Using either a cookie cutter or something like a jar lid, cut out circles from the dough. Press dough circles into a muffin pan.

Filling

In another bowl, mix well corn syrup, brown sugar, melted butter and egg. Add vanilla and stir in raisins.

Spoon filling into pastry shell to just below the rim.

Bake at 400 for about 10 mins until golden brown.

Makes about a dozen tarts

No comments:

Post a Comment