There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Untested - Witches' Fingers cookies


Witches' Fingers

http://www.coffeeandvanilla.com/halloween-short-bread-bloody-fingers-or-scary-faces/


INGREDIENTS

315g unsalted butter / 1¼ bar (softened)
4 cups plain flour
1 cup light brown soft Muscovado or golden caster sugar
90-180 whole almonds (90 for finger cookies, 180 for scary faces)
3 tbs vanilla sugar
5 tbs milk
red dessert sauce to serve (I used mixed berry: boysenberries, strawberries and raspberries sauce)

  1. Combine butter, flour, sugars and knead with your hands till dough is smooth and sticky.
  2. Divide it into 3-4 portions and place in the fridge for about an hour and up to 72 hours.
  3. In meantime pour boiling water over almonds, leave them like this for couple of minutes. Drain and remove skin, leave aside.
  4. Preheat oven to 175°C (350°F).
  5. Take out from the fridge one portion of the dough, create fingers or faces and place on baking tray lined with Teflon sheets. Bake for about 20 minutes till golden. Leave aside to cool down.
  6. Repeat the same with the rest of the dough.
  7. When cookies are cooled down completely serve with bloody red sauce on a side to dip cookies.
  8. Makes about 90 cookies.

NOTES
Next time I will try to add a little bit less butter as fingers lost a little bit of shape during baking.

No comments:

Post a Comment