There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Saturday, December 15, 2012

Summer Squash Soup - Test 1

Good hot or cold - good for picnics
1 - It made a good soup, but a bit plain; I put in 4 dashes of hot sauce which made it spicy, which was an improvement. I wonder about herbs? 
2 - I've increased the recipe by a third, and I've decided on tarragon for the herb with chives as a garnish. In thinking about it as I am making it, it also occurs to me that cooking the onion with a little garlic just until the onion is soft and not coloured might also add flavor. Boiling the onion might keep it light and allow the zucchini and tarragon to come through better. I don't know. Things to try.
The result is a very delicate soup. Ben quite liked it and seemed to grow to like it as he ate it. With the addition of tarragon the hot sauce does not work. Not something he'd like frequently. I forgot to put in broth, I only used water, but this might change things a bit again. 
3 - This worked really quite nicely. It really only makes 4 proper bowls of soup.

4 servings

3 med zucchini (14oz/600g) grated
3 cups chicken or veg broth
3 medium onions (18oz/410g) chopped fine
1/2 tsp hot sauce
½ tsp pepper
¾ cup yogurt + more for topping
2 Tbsps. tarragon
Chives and yogurt (for garnish)
  1. Combine broth, zucchini and onion in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
  2. Cover and simmer 10 to 15 minutes or until the onions soften.
  3. Remove from heat and stir in the tarragon and pepper.
  4. Process in a blender, add yogurt mix well until smooth.
  5. Serve with chives and any extra tarragon sprinkled on top and pass around a bowl of fresh yogurt to drizzle over the soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment