There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Lemony Chickpea casserole - Testing

I can't remember where this came from, only that I made it only once, several years ago. Like maybe 15 years ago.

1 - I'm not sure about the amount of salt. I tried 3 tsps and found it too salty although Ben liked it well enough. Also, when I made it last it was lovely and moist but I used 1/2 cup Greek yogurt, 1/2 cup of its whey and 1/2 cup creme fraiche. I hope what I've recommended below is a more convenient solution.
2 - The salt is just right I think. So is the dairy. I've standardized with mass and volume measurements. Now, if I make yogurt cheese or mascarpone, would that be a good substitute for the cottage cheese?

5 cups (1lb 14oz/860g) cooked chickpeas
1 cup (5.5oz/156g) cooked brown rice
3 oz shallots, minced or grated
2 cloves garlic, minced
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
4 large eggs, beaten
2 cup cottage cheese
1 1/4 cup plain yogurt (not Greek yogurt; it has too little moisture)
1/4 cup milk or cream
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley
2 stalks fresh rosemary (leaves only)
Topping
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2/3 cup dried bread crumbs (ie: Panko)
Olive oil
  1. Preheat the oven to 375°F and lightly grease a 9x13-inch or other 3-quart baking dish with olive oil.
  2. In a large bowl, mix the chickpeas with the rice, shallots, garlic, and lemon zest and juice. Season with salt and pepper.
  3. Mix the beaten eggs in a medium bowl with the cottage cheese, yogurt, milk (or cream) and 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese. Finely mince the parsley and fresh rosemary leaves. Stir the cottage cheese mixture and herbs into the chickpea mixture.
  4. Spread the mixture in the prepared baking dish and top with the remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan and the bread crumbs. (At this point the casserole can be covered and refrigerated for up to 24 hours.) Drizzle with olive oil. Bake for 45 minutes, 60 to 75 minutes or until bubbling and golden. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment