There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Testing - Chou-fleur gratiné

NOTE 3: Next time try removing the pan from heat source before adding milk to butter+flour to see if that will help avoid lumpiness and the milk bubbling up.

1 cauliflower
1 oz butter
1/4 cup flour
1 1/2 cups milk
2 egg yolks
1 tsp salt
1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1.75 oz Cheese (gruyere or cheddar etc, like quiche, a good way to use leftover heels)
1.75 oz parmesan, grated, divided into two portions
1/3 cup bread crumbs (Panko is best)
Pepper
  1. Pre-heat oven to 375F.
  2. Cut up cauliflower into florets and blanch cauliflower in salted water for 5 minutes (Note 1). Transfer to ice bath to stop the cooking (I just pour out the boiling water and run cold water in the pot full of veg for a few minutes. Not sure which method is more energy efficient but I tend to think it's pretty much the same).
  3. Meanwhile, put the milk on to boil. When it starts to just bubble, remove from heat.
  4. Melt the butter in a saucepan and whisk the flour into the butter all in one go, and cook until it's just starting to turn golden (just enough to cook out the flour taste but not enough to give it a roasted flavor). 
  5. Remove the pan from the heat source. Whisk the hot milk into the butter/flour mixture in a steady stream; keep whisking (at a comfortable speed) until it turns into a smooth, thick sauce. Mix in the salt, pepper, thyme and nutmeg. Whisk in the egg yolks one at a time, then the grated gruyère, and half the parmigiana.
  6. Pour out the water from the cauliflower pot and put in casserole dish. Pour over the hot cheese sauce and press down with wooden spoon or spatula. Mix together the bread crumbs and the remaining half of the parmigiana, and sprinkle on top of the dish. Bake, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes.
  7.  Grate fresh pepper over the top and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment