There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Sunday, April 17, 2016

Fried Egg Pesto Pasta - Published

https://mangeratrois.net/index.php/recipes/pasta/447-egg-pesto-pasta
http://www.marthastewart.com/945050/emerils-tuscan-pasta-egg-and-pesto-sauce

1 - It's all about the timing. I finally got it right, and it's really all about getting the pan off the heat at the right time - when the yolks are still runny and glistening.

1 lb dry pasta
2 Tbsps olive oil
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper, or to taste
Pinch of salt
3/4 cup + 1/4 cup pesto
6 eggs

  1. Cook pasta with a pinch of salt until al dente.
  2. Get a large serving plate ready.
  3. Break the eggs into a bowl and set aside.
  4. When the pasta is cooked, heat the oil in a pan and when very hot add the crushed pepper and the pinch of salt.
  5. Add the cooked pasta and pour over the 3/4 cup pesto. Mix well by tossing and get the pesto nice and hot.
  6. Pour the eggs over the hot noodles and leave to start cooking, giggling the pan a bit to get the whites down into the noodles.
  7. When the whites start to form, take the pan off the heat source and break the yolks with a wooden spoon or spatula, and quickly mix up the contents to fold the frying pasta over the eggs.  Mix quickly to distribute the egg and allow the whites to cook a bit in the residual heat, but do not leave long enough to let the yolks cook.
  8. Pour over the second remaining 1/4 cup of pesto, and immediately slide onto a large plate and serve. The egg should be soft and creamy.

No comments:

Post a Comment