There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Saturday, April 30, 2016

Test 1 - Cornmeal Muffins

http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2015/02/perfect-corn-muffins/

Nailed it! Not too sweet and very corny... Now to replicate.
1 - Still on Test 1. The problem is not the recipe per-se, but how I read recipes. I totally just started a standard muffin recipe and mixed all the dry together and all the wet together before realizing that there's all these variations that I ignored.

Cooked Wet Batter:
Part 1
1 1/4 cups whole milk
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup butter, cubed
Part 2
3 to 5 tablespoons sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1 cup sour cream or full fat yoghurt or buttermilk?
Part 3
2 large eggs
Dry Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
  1. Melt the butter and allow to cool a bit. The time it takes to do the next steps should be plenty.
  2. Heat oven to 425°F.
  3. Grease standard muffin tin.
  4. In a saucepan, combine milk and remaining 1/2 cup cornmeal. Cook until it’s thickened to a batter-like consistency, i.e. the spoon leaves a clear line across the bottom of the pan. Turn off the heat and add the cubes of butter, mixing until the butter is completely melted and combined, then transfer to a large bowl. Whisk in first the melted butter then, in this sequence, the sugar, then the sour cream until well combined. Finally By this time the batter should be cool enough, so go ahead and whisk in the eggs (but if you think it's still too hot, wait another 5 minutes).
  5. Whisk together the remaining cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
  6. Fold in the flour mixture until thoroughly combined and the batter is very thick. Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups; it will mound slightly above the rim - try using an ice-cream scoop.
  7. Bake 7 minutes, rotate the muffin tins and bake another 7 minutes or until tops are golden brown and toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean, 13 to 17 minutes, rotating muffin tin halfway through baking to ensure even cooking. Let muffins cool in muffin tin on wire rack for 5 minutes, then remove muffins from tin and let cool 5 minutes longer. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment