There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Friday, May 6, 2016

Test 2 - Curried Pumpkin Soup with Cream

1 - The flavours are good, but the soup is thin. Adding another 14 oz of pumpkin purée to see what happens - I suspect I'll have to adjust to spicing by 1/3 since I'm adding 1/3 the volume of pumpkin.
1.1 - I think I'm thinking about this all wrong. It isn't about increasing the amount of pumpkin, but about decreasing the amount of broth. So I'm cutting the broth by half and returning the quantity of pumpkin back to 28 oz, and converting that into cups (or approximation).
2 - It looks too thick, but once blendered and with the cream added, it's just right.
3 - I'm using pumpkins that were harvested too soon due to frost, which, I suspect, may be why I feel like the pumpkin flavour is not pronounced enough. I will put this on hold until I get properly grown pumpkin again.
4 - It worked quite nicely. I doubled the recipe, so the amount of cayenne was a slightly rounded tsp, and that was the right amount of heat.

1 Tbsp butter
1 leek, sliced (can substitute with 1 small onion)
2 tsps curry powder
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp cumin
28 40 oz 3 1/2 cups 1lb steamed pumpkin
4 2 cups chicken broth
1/2 - 1 tsp salt
1" knob of ginger, grated
1/8 - 1/4 tsp cayenne
1/2 cup cream
1 Tbsp honey or maple syrup
  1. In a soup pot, cook leek in butter until it starts to soften.
  2. Add the curry, coriander and cumin powders and mix, until the spices become fragrant.
  3. Add the pumpkin purée, chicken broth, salt, ginger and cayenne.
  4. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
  5. Run through a blender until smooth.
  6. Take the soup off your heat source and mix in the cream and honey. Mix until dissolved and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment