There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Blackberry Slumpie - PUBLISHED

This sounds too much like a dessert from Ankh-Morpork to pass up. Turns out to be pretty tasty, too. I made it once, and it was very much liked, but I'd like to see if I can reduce the sugar a bit and maybe add some optional liqueur.

1 - I thought I'd make this for breakfast by reducing the quantity of sugar, and it turns out even better. I may try to reduce the sugar to 1/4 cup to see if it retains enough sweetness.

Stewing Liquid
3 cup blackberries
1/2 1/3 cup sugar
1 1/4 cup water
1 tsp finely grated lemon peel
1 Tbsp lemon juice

Dumplings
1 cup flour
2 Tbsps sugar
2 tsps baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp cold butter
1/2 cup cream (I used light %18 cream)

Cream or Whipped Cream to serve

In a large saucepan, combine all of the stewing liquid ingredients and bring to a boil, then simmer for about 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. With your fingers, mash the butter into the flour until it resembles a coarse meal. Add the milk and only stir in until it's combined, and no more, or you'll have tough dumplings!
Divide the dough into 6 even portions and drop into the simmering berries.
Cover and cook for 10 minutes and do not lift the lid until they're done. The dumplings cook by steam and won't cook as well if you let the steam out by lifting the lid.
To serve, spoon out into bowls and serve warm with cream or whipped cream on top

No comments:

Post a Comment