There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Testing - Chocolate Cloud Cookies (Dark Chocolate Brookies)

http://tenplay.com.au/channel-ten/masterchef/recipes/dark-chocolate-brookies

I removed the Chantilly cream bit from the recipe - I want cookies, not fussy! Can you tell I'm hungry? I'll use a scale to measure quantities for most of this, which is why I've kept the metric measurements.
1 - good but not amazing. Something missing, and it isn't the Chantilly cream. Next time, I will try nuts. This time, I did half with chocolate chips, and half without. With the chips it definitely makes it chewy like a browny, and without is like a light meringue (I though of calling them chocolate clouds because I really don't like the name 'brooky'. Just me!) I like the light ones, but there's a texture missing, I think a soft and oily nut, like walnut or pine nut.
Also, I find them too sweet, but I'm nervous about reducing the sugar since it adds bulk. Maybe balance it out with the flour?
Oh, and I changed from cornflour to arrowroot powder. Er, and I only used 300g of chocolate... Ok, maybe I changed quite a lot!

350g 70% dark chocolate
45g butter
225 200g caster sugar
80 100g cornflour arrowroot flour
1 tsp baking powder
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla essence
100g dark chocolate chips
100g pine nuts (or walnuts)
  1. Preheat oven to 180C.
  2. Place 70% chocolate and butter in a bowl and set over a saucepan of simmering water. Stir to melt and combine. Remove from heat and set aside to cool until needed.
  3. Combine remaining ingredients in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and beat until light and fluffy. Add cooled chocolate butter mixture and mix until well combined.
  4. Wrap and put in the refrigerator to rest for one hour and up to 72 hours.
  5. Spoon tablespoons of mixture onto baking trays lined with baking paper. Dot the top of the cookies with the dark chocolate chips, pressing gently into the dough. Bake for 12-13 minutes in the preheated oven. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.


No comments:

Post a Comment