There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Monday, May 9, 2016

Test 3 - Poulet Chasseur

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/9100/onepot-chicken-chasseur

1-3 Cooking is about frame of mind. I like to connect to real or imagined origins of a dish. For this one, I imagine a hunter, with what he has in his pack and what he's found in the woods cooking over a fire. Simple, flavorful, ok, so I don't know where he got the chicken!
2 - tried boiling down some tomatoes to make a paste, but it didn't create the same kind of rich flavour canned tomato paste does. I think this just means that, when there is a glut of tomatoes next summer, I will try to make some tomato paste of my own! Because of the variation and the result, I will keep this at Test 2.
3 - No changes recommended. Just more of the same, please!

Poulet Chasseur

1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp (½ oz/14gr) butter
4 chicken leg
1 chicken, cup up into pieces
1 onion (6oz/170g), chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
7-8 oz mushrooms, thick slice
3/4 cup red wine (be generous)
2 Tbsps tomato paste
2 springs of thyme
2 cups chicken stock

  1. Heat the oil and the butter in a large lidded casserole. Season the chicken, then fry for about 5 minutes on each side until golden brown. Remove and set aside.
  2. Add the onion to the pan and fry for about 5 minutes, until soft. 
  3. Add the garlic, cook for 1 minute, then add the mushrooms, cook for 2 minutes or until the mushrooms 'sweat', then add the wine. 
  4. Stir in the tomato paste. Let the sauce simmer and reduce for about 5 minutes, then stir in the thyme and pour over the stock. 
  5. Slip the chicken back into the pan, then cover and simmer on a low heat for about 1 hour, whereupon the chicken will be very tender. The chicken will be ready when the internal temperature of the breasts reaches 165°F
  6. Remove the chicken from the pan and keep warm. Rapidly boil down the sauce until it's syrupy and the flavour has concentrated, about 10 minutes. Put the chicken legs back into the sauce and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment