There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Saturday, May 7, 2016

Tamale Pie - Published

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/tamale-pie.html

1 - I was looking for ways of using up leftover chilli. How lovely to have found something that combines chilli and cornbread!
2 - I'm not sure about the amount of baking powder or, rather, I would like for the cornbread to puff up more. Maybe. I've changed the amount from 1 1/2 tsps to 1 whole Tbsp.
3 - I've now altered the cornbread topping recipe and it created a lovely light and crumbly crumb that's easy to fork through, without being dry. Here's hoping I can reproduce the effect next time!
4 - Success, all the way through EXCEPT that the topping was much thicker and therefore difficult to spread over the chilli. I will graduate it to Test 2 nonetheless, but with a suggestion to try and remedy this.
5 - Adding more liquid to get the right consistency to more easily spread the topping seemed to work just fine. I am keeping it at Test 2 until I make it again with these new instructions.

Start by either making a recipe of chilli, regular or vegetarian, or using up leftovers, at least 4 cups-worth. Put in a deep pan (I use a deep-dish pie pan).

4 cups of prepared chilli, pre-heated 
1 1/4 cups yellow cornmeal
6 Tbsps unsalted butter, melted
1 cup buttermilk (plain milk also works but is less flavorful)
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp 1/2 tsps baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
Kosher salt
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups (about 6 oz) grated sharp cheddar cheese (optional)
  1. Make a recipe of chilli (or use leftovers and re-heat until piping hot).
  2. Pre-heat the oven to 375F.
  3. For the topping, melt the butter and add the cornmeal and the milk. Stirring constantly, bring the mixture to a slow boil, then reduce to a slow simmer, continuing to constantly stir, for about 5 minutes, then set aside for about 10 minutes. let it cool a bit (the time it takes to combine the dry ingredients is enough cooling time)
  4. Whisk Mix together the cornmeal flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
  5. In a separate bowl, whisk together the melted butter, buttermilk and eggs. Mix the dry into the wet, stirring thoroughly until the cornmeal crumbles into a fine crumb.
  6. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until incorporated; Crack in the eggs and beat to combine (then stir in the optional cheese). The mixture should be relatively liquid (or at least, it was last time); if it is too thick, add a bit of milk until it is just a little runny; this will make it easier to spread evenly.
  7. Dollop the cornbread mixture over the piping hot chilli and smooth it into an even layer with the back of a spoon. 
  8. Bake until the topping is golden brown, about 30 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment