There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Friday, December 9, 2016

Test 1 - Cabbage Soup

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/cabbage_soup/#ixzz4SN2iuMHp

1 - Excellent, and could be improved upon. The flavouring is good with the spices and heat, and more could make it even better. Maybe rice? A mix of mirepoid-type veggies? Beans? Although if I add beans, then I for sure have to add some seaweed because the methane production could be disastrous.
2 - Added a mirepoid of carrot and celery and it turned it into a very good vegetable soup. Not stellar, but very good... I suppose there's only so much you can do with cabbage soup.

2 tsps oil
1 tsp butter
1⁄2 tsp coriander seeds (or 1⁄4 tsp ground coriander)
1⁄2 tsp fennel seeds (or 1⁄4 tsp ground fennel)
1⁄4 tsp cumin seeds (or 1⁄8 tsp ground cumin)
1⁄4 tsp red pepper flakes
1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 1⁄4 cups)
1 carrot, small dice
1 celery, small dice
4 to 5 cups, packed, 1⁄4-inch wide sliced green cabbage (from about 1 small cabbage)
1⁄2 to 1 tsp salt
15 oz peeled tomatoes
4 cups light unsalted stock
Freshly ground black pepper
  1. Grind spices if using whole spices: If using whole spices (coriander, fennel, cumin), grind them in a mortar and pestle or in a spice grinder until well ground.
  2. In a soup pot, sauté the onions, carrot, celery and spices in the oil and melted butter over medium-low heat. Cook until the onions have softened, about 5 minutes.
  3. Stir in the sliced cabbage. Add the tomatoes, with their juices, to the pot. Stir to heat through.
  4. Add the stock and salt, and simmer for another 25 minutes or until the cabbage is completely cooked. Add more salt to taste.
  5. Sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment