There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Sunday, December 11, 2016

Slowly Cooked Spiced Red Cabbage Soup - PUBLISHED

1 - A really interesting blend of flavours. Was it a fluke, or can I reproduce it?
2 - Yes! And it was good. There was talk of increasing the tartness, so next time I may grate the rind of 1 lemon and add it to the soup instead of just a strip of peel in the spice bag.
3 - Universally good. Still a bit sweet, so I think next time I'll try reducing the sugar and tasting up to the right amount. Did not grate the rind.
4 - This is a slow recipe, or it takes a long time to cook. I have to keep this in mind. And I should also indicate that it's great to have simmering on a wood stove to take advantage of the radiant heat and avoid using gas or electricity by keeping just a stovetop on.
5 - Taking the time to let it cook properly really makes a big difference. Very good.

Cook Time: 2h30min

6 slices smoked bacon (approx. 90g), chopped en lardons
1 large onion (10oz/285g) chopped small
1 large carrot (4 to 5oz/145g) chopped small
1 firm, tart apple, chopped small
1½ tsps. caraway seeds
1 small head (1½ lbs.) red cabbage, diced
¼ tsp pepper
⅛ tsp nutmeg
In a cheesecloth bundle collect: 5 or 6 juniper berries; 3 or 4 whole cloves; 2 fresh bay leaves; a strip of fresh lemon or lime peel (grated instead, maybe?); 1 small cinnamon stick
1⁄4 cup plum vinegar or cider vinegar or red wine vinegar
1 Tbsp dark brown sugar
6 cups chicken stock
2 cups water
1 tsp salt
  1. In a soup pot render the fat from the bacon until the meat is crisp. Remove the bacon bits and set aside. If there isn't enough fat at the bottom of the pot, add some oil.
  2. Add the onion, carrot, apple, and caraway and cook until the onion is soft. 
  3. Add the cabbage and season with pepper and nutmeg. Cover and cook just to wilt the cabbage. 
  4. Return the bacon to the pot and add the spices, the vinegar, brown sugar, stock, water and salt, and bring to a boil. 
  5. Simmer uncovered until the cabbage is very tender and the soup has thickened/reduced, about 1 to 1½ hours.
  6. Adjust the salt to your taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment