There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Untested - Shortcake dough

https://www.driscolls.com/recipe/classic-strawberry-shortcake-recipe

2/3 cups chilled butter, cubed
3 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 3/4 cups heavy cream

  1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease three 8" round cake pans.
  2. Put the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Add the butter pieces and pinch with your fingers to create a crumb texture (it's like playing in sand).
  3. Stir in the cream with a fork until just moistened. Do not over mix.
  4. Gather dough into a large ball and gently knead on a lightly floured surface, just until smooth (about 5 turns).
  5. Divide dough into 3 equal portions and press each piece of dough into a prepared cake pan, spreading to edges and making as smooth as possible.
  6. Bake about 25 minutes or until top is golden. Let cool 5 minutes in pans on wire rack then turn out to cool completely on wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment