There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Thursday, June 22, 2017

Thumbprint cookies - Test 2

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/25100/jam-filled-butter-cookies/

1 - trying these out with the plum compote. Using original quantity of sugar but suspect I'll want to reduce it.
2 - Fudged this batch. I didn't read the recipe (duh) and threw everything in and only afterwards realized I was supposed to cream the sugar and yolk with the butter. I thought, hey, I'll melt the butter first and try to whisk what I can salvage from the yolk and sugar by separating them from the flour. I did my best but it was a bit of a cock-up and the result were greasy cookies that tasted like raw dough. For those who like to eat lumps of raw cookie dough, this is probably fine. But I like the snap of a shortbread with I eat my thumbprint cookies. So, no changes to recommend, apart from read the darned recipe!!!
3 - Oh, they worked out! Turns out following the recipe is a good idea. The eggs were small so I added an extra yolk to make it 3. The quantity of jam was too small though, so I can be  more generous there. Also, being conservative with the cooking time is a good idea in this oven anyway.
4 - Unlike the last point above, while cooking time is important, some browning is as well. Without browning it tastes like raw cookie dough. Some people might like that, I am not one of them. I would like to be more careful with cooking times to indicate the ideal range.

Makes 20 x 1oz balls

¾ cup (6oz/169gr) butter, softened
½ cup white sugar
2 egg yolks
1¾ cups all-purpose flour
½ cup fruit preserves, any flavor
  1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
  2. In a medium bowl, cream together the butter, white sugar and egg yolks. Mix in flour a little bit at a time until a soft dough forms. 
  3. Wrap and put in the refrigerator and rest for one hour or up to 72 hours.
  4. Roll dough into 1 inch balls. If dough is too soft, refrigerate for 15 to 20 minutes. Place balls 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Use your finger or an instrument of similar size to make a well in the center of each cookie. Fill the hole with ½ teaspoon of preserves.
  5. Bake for 8 to 10 10 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven, until golden brown on the bottom. Remove from cookie sheets to cool on wire racks.


No comments:

Post a Comment