There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Monday, July 3, 2017

Egg Curry - PUBLISHED

http://foodsandflavorsbyshilpi.com/veg-egg-curry-recipe-paneer-ke-ande-recipe/

1 - It worked quite nicely with garlic scapes cooked with the onion. I will next try it without the coconut milk to see if it truly is optional, or if it is definitely required. We can't grow coconuts on our farm, so it will likely remain optional.
2 - Always get rave reactions to this. Let's keep going!
3 - Delicious once again. I still haven't mastered the peeling of boiled eggs, and I think it's because I don't let them cool down enough. It seems that when I peel them still warm, the whites are softer and break so that the eggs get all damaged and unattractive. I've added a note.
4 - I did not achieve the desired sauciness. It was too dry. This was not a fault in the recipe but in my judgment. However, I think the recipe would be better served if it wasn't served with only rice, but a vegetable like a saag.

6 Perfect Hard-Boiled Eggs (cooked earlier and refrigerated in cold water before peeling)
¼ cup oil
2 bay leaves
1 cinnamon stick
1 green cardamom pod, lightly crushed
3-4 cloves
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp paprika powder
Salt
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 Tbsp grated fresh ginger
2 cloves garlic, pressed (or garlic scapes, chopped fine)
½ tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1½ tsp coriander
1 tsp cumin
1/4 cup coconut milk (optional) or water
1 tsp dry mango powder (suitable substitute ?)
½ tsp Garam masala powder
  1. Heat oil; stir in bay leaf, cinnamon stick, cardamom, cloves, cumin seeds, paprika powder and mix in the finely chopped onions.
  2. Reduce the heat to medium low and cook onions for almost 10 minutes, adding the salt, or until starting to gently brown.
  3. When the onion turns brown add the ginger and garlic; continue cooking until the ginger and garlic smells cooked.
  4. When you can see oil separating out from the onion is soft and brown When the garlic and ginger are fragrant, add turmeric, cayenne, coriander, and cumin powder, mixing well. Add the water so that the spices do not burn and are nicely mixed, cook until fragrant (if using the optional coconut milk add now).
  5. Increase the heat to medium and boil the sauce for 5-8 minutes, cooking down to achieve the desired sauciness.
  6. Add the garam masala and stir it in.
  7. Immediately afterwards add the eggs and cook a few more minutes, just to heat through.
  8. Goes well with Savoury Rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment