There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Monday, July 31, 2017

Untested - Mutton with white beans

http://www.cuisineaz.com/recettes/ragout-de-mouton-aux-haricots-blancs-59466.aspx

This requires a three hour cooking time.

1lb dry white beans
2 tomatoes
1 onion
2 cloves
1+1 sprig of thyme
1+1 bay leaf
1/4 cup butter
3 Tbsps oil
10 baby onion
2 lbs of sheep in pieces (necklace, chest, possibly shoulder pieces)
1 Tbsp flour
2 cups of vegetable broth
salt pepper
1 carrot, peeled and chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 slices bread
Dijon mustard
  1. Prepare the white beans the day before. For this, soak them overnight in a large volume of cold water to rehydrate them.
  2. The next day, drain the beans and put them in a large saucepan or a pot with tomatoes cut into quarters, onion with the cloves poked into it, 1 branch of thyme and a laurel leaf. Cover with cold water and bring to the boil.
  3. After boiling, lower the heat and cook for 1 hour over medium heat. Salt and pepper halfway through cooking.
  4. Meanwhile, heat the butter and oil to brown the pieces of sheep meat (coloring them before going into the stewing process). Once golden brown, remove and set them aside.
  5. In the same pot, fry the skinned baby onions until lightly browned. Remove half of the cooking fat and put the golden sheep meat back into the pot.
  6. Sprinkle the meat with flour while sautéing to cover the meat. Once the flour starts to colour, pour in the vegetable broth and season to taste.
  7. Add the carrot and garlic along with the remaining thyme and laurel leaf. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for another hour.
  8. Once your white beans are cooked, drain them and add them to the meat. Continue cooking the bean stew with the white beans, covered for 1 hour.
  9. Spread mustard on the bread and dip, face-down, in the stew - this gives the whole thing a bit more flavour (although I'm curious to see what actually happens, and if I can just add a little dollop of mustard, instead). Remove before serving.
  10. When cooked, make your stew of white beans in a serving dish or even the casserole for even more conviviality.
  11. This dish prepared the day before and warmed gently the same day is even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment