There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Monday, July 10, 2017

Rice with Poached Egg - Testing

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/12158-rice-with-poached-eggs
BUT would like to Frankenstein with :
http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/eggs-recipes/spiced-veggie-rice-with-poached-eggs/
and
http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/poached-eggs-over-rice-recipe.html

1 - Very good. I halved the recipe and it works for 3 people. Others enjoyed the whole coriander seeds, myself less so, but I'm ok with leaving it like this for now. I would like to know if there are any suggestions on how to elevate this dish, which I forgot to ask.

Serves 3

2 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped (170gr)
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp ground turmeric
2 whole cloves
1 cinnamon stick
1 fresh green chilli (like jalapeños), thinly sliced
1 bay leaf
1 tsp salt
1 cup basmati rice
2 cups water
2 tsp white-wine vinegar
8 eggs
1 cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped
1 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
Juice from 1/2 lemon
 Black pepper
2 Tbsps butter
1/2 tsp red chili flakes.
  1. Heat the oil in a pot large enough to cook the rice. 
  2. Cook the onion and the garlic in the hot oil until soft, about 8 minutes. 
  3. Add the coriander seeds, turmeric, cloves, cinnamon, chillies, bay leaves and 1 teaspoon salt. Continue to cook and stir for about 4 minutes or when the spices become very fragrant. 
  4. Add the rice and stir to coat in the oil. 
  5. Add 2 cups water, bring to a boil before reducing to a slow simmer. Cover the pot and very gently simmer for 25 minutes. Keeping the pan covered, let it rest somewhere warm.
  6. Start to poach the eggs.
  7. When the eggs are almost done, stir the parsley, cilantro and lemon juice into the rice and fluff it with a fork. Taste and adjust the seasoning. 
  8. Put the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat; when it’s hot, add the kirmizi biber and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
  9. Divide the rice among four individual serving bowls. Place two eggs on each portion, drizzle chili butter on top, sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment