There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Testing - Slow Cooker Lamb Stew

https://www.thespruce.com/crock-pot-lamb-stew-3057954
http://www.foodiful.com.au/recipes/75925/rustic-lamb-red-wine-stew

1 - This did not go over well. I thought it would be like my Irish Stew but it tasted very fatty and too gamey (a flavour I usually like, but this was too much), which makes me think that lots of wine might help. I also decided to switch the potatoes for beans.

1 1/2 cup dry borlotti beans
2 1/2 cups chicken lamb or beef stock
1 bottle red wine (750 ml)
2 Tbsps extra-virgin olive oil butter or mutton lard
2 lbs lamb neck pieces or shoulder chops, trimmed
2 Tbsps flour
3 medium carrots, sliced
2 medium onions, sliced
1 lb potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced, about 5 medium potatoes
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground black pepper
4 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
  1. Pour the chicken broth into a saucepan and bring to a boil.
  2. Soak beans overnight in plenty of water. 
  3. Cut the lamb into bite-size pieces. Keep the bones. 
  4. Combine the flour with a pinch each of salt and pepper; cover the meat with the flour.
  5. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the lamb and cook, turning to brown on all sides. Put in the crock pot.
  6. Put the carrots and onions in the same pan, adding oil if necessary, and sautée until starting to brown, then dump in the crockpot. 
  7. Add the wine to the hot pan and deglaze thoroughly and then dump into the crock pot along with the broth.
  8. Add the beans, salt and pepper to taste along with the thyme.
  9. Cover and cook for 3 to 4 hours on HIGH or 6 to 8 hours on LOW.
  10. Sprinkle fresh chopped parsley over the stew and serve hot with thick, crusty bread.


Tips and Variations

Add a small diced rutabaga and/or, sliced parsnips along with the potatoes.
Add frozen peas to the dish about 20 minutes before it's done.

No comments:

Post a Comment