There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Sunday, February 18, 2018

Leftover Lamb Pie - Testing

2 Tbsps butter
1 stick celery, chopped
1 carrot, choped
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
1 tbsp flour
1/2 cup red wine
1/2 cup beef stock or leftover gravy
1/4 cup baby peas (optional)
1 Tbsp rosemary
1 tsp thyme leaves
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 recipe pie crust

  1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
  2. Sauté onion, celery, carrots in butter until cooked through and starting to brown, about 10 minutes.
  3. Add flour and garlic to sautée mixture, stirring well to cover the veg in the flour and prevent excessive sticking to the bottom. Cook one minute, at least, or until well browned. This is important - cooking the flour in the buttered vegetables means the flour is absorbing all the liquids and fats in the pan, then cooking so that when you make the sauce, it will have carried all the lovely browning flavour with it, and it won't taste floury. Reduce the temperature to medium.
  4. To the pan, add the wine and the broth or gravy and stir thoroughly. Stir in the rosemary and the thyme, mustard, salt and pepper. Stir constantly until the broth thickens and gets bubbly. If you feel you haven't browned the flour mixture enough, it's not too late. Leave on a high simmer and let cook a bit more.
  5. Mix in the lamb and stir to combine well.
  6. Dump into a pie plate.
  7. Roll out the dough and cover, draping over the edges of the pie plate. Poke vent holes.
  8. Bake for 40-50 minutes until the contents are bubbling.

No comments:

Post a Comment