There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Untested - Confit de porc (potted pork)

From The Country Cooking of France by Anne Willan, pg 120

Preserving meats as a source of protein on days after the slaughter has happened to extend the availability of the food has long been of interest to people. According to Anne Willan, this is a variation of the canard confit recipe which makes for preserved duck meat that can be canned and kept for a long period of time without refrigeration, but she does not specify if this carries through for pork meat. I will continue researching the question and post here my findings (of course).

3lbs boneless lean pork shoulder cut into 6 pieces of 8oz each
3 Tbsps coarse salt
1 tsp peppercorns
3 sprigs thyme
3 dried bay leaves, broken in pieces
3 lbs lard, melted
  1. Bundle the pieces of meat with twine.
  2. Please in a shallow dish and sprinkle with salt and herbs.
  3. Cover and keep in the refrigerator for 24-36 hours, turning occasionally.
  4. Before cooking, rinse off the salt. 
  5. Preheat the oven to 300F.
  6. Sear the pork pieces on all 6 sides for about 3-4 minutes per side (about 20+ minutes).
  7. Place the seared pieces in a casserole dish, cover them with the melted lard, and cover with a tight-fitting lid.
  8. Cook in the oven for about 3 hours.
  9. To preserve the pork, place the meat in a preserving jar and pour the fat from the casserole on top.
  10. IMPORTANT - be sure there are no air bubbles.
  11. INSTRUCTIONS FOR DUCK: "To preserve the duck, pour a layer of the preserved fat from the casserole into the base of a preserving jar or small terrine. Pack the duck pieces on top and pour over enough fat to cover and seal them completely, adding more melted fat if necessary. Be sure there are no air bubbles. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 week to allow the flavor to mellow. If you seal the jar with a cloth sprinkled with salt and then tightly cover it, the confit will keep for several months in a cool place. The longer it is left to mature, the better it will be.
  12. HOW TO COOK THE PORK CONFIT: Heat the oven to 400F. In a water bath lined with a cloth, place the jar to melt the fat. Lift out the pieces of meat and wipe off the excess fat.
  13. In a frying pan heat the pieces, pour off any rendered fat, then fry the meat over low heat until very hot and brown on all sides, 10 to 12 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment