There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Saturday, January 13, 2018

Test 2 - Sausage Patties

From Ben's book fragment on Pennsylvania Dutch cookery - pg 10

Very nice, just as-is. I'll spruce up the instructions a bit but otherwise a satisfying, simple recipe.

1 lb ground pork (8oz fatty pork, 8oz lean pork)
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
Pinch each of sage and thyme
1 egg

  1. If using whole cuts, grind the meat.
  2. In a medium bowl, add the salt, pepper, sage and thyme; mix to combine.
  3. Push the meat to the side, crack an egg into the empty part and lightly beat the egg with a fork, then mix thoroughly with the meat.
  4. Make into 10 patties of about 2oz each fry in a hot pan with a little lard until well browned.
  5. Eat with pancakes or waffles, or with eggs and toast, or however your heart desires.

No comments:

Post a Comment