There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Sunday, January 28, 2018

Palets bretons au beurre salé - Testing

http://l-hote-sophie.e-monsite.com/pages/desserts/palets-bretons-au-beurre-sale.html
http://eugeniekitchen.com/palets-bretons/
http://cuisine.journaldesfemmes.fr/recette/331590-palets-bretons

These are traditional shortbread-style cookies from the Brittany region of northern France.

1 - Ok, more research is required. They did not puff out at all, or very little, and the bottoms started to burn after only 10 minutes. I've looked at other recipes, and they all look very similar. I may just pick another one at random and try it. The flavor and texture are really good though, so I want to get the look right. Maybe it's the constricted area of the muffin tin that is the key? I'll try this one: https://www.madaboutmacarons.com/palets-bretons-french-butter-biscuits/ . My other alternative is to make like the top link and roll out the dough to make more traditionally shaped round, flat cookies.

1/3 cup white sugar
1/2 cup salted butter
2  egg yolks
1 1/3 cups flour
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1 pinch of salt
  1. Melt the butter and set aside to cool.
  2. Beat the egg yolk and the sugar together until the mixture turns quite pale.
  3. Still beating, drizzle in the butter slowly so as not to cook the yolk.
  4. Beat in the flour, baking powder and salt until thoroughly combined and a quite stiff dough is obtained.
  5. Roll into a sausage shape about 2" in diameter and keep wrapped.
  6. Allow to rest in the refrigerator or a cool place for a minimum of 2 hours or overnight.
  7. Once the butter in the dough has set, heat the oven to 350F.
  8. Unwrap and cut the dough sausage into slices about 1/4" thick and set on a cookie sheet (OR you may want to place the rounds in a muffin tin to keep a smaller diameter - I don't know how much they will puff out.)
  9. Bake in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until the surface is lightly browned.
NOTES:
  • Keep in a metal tin for freshness.
  • Instead of just plain flour, combine 1 part buckwheat flour to 1 part regular wheat flour.

No comments:

Post a Comment