There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Saturday, January 13, 2018

Untested - Liver Noodles (Leberknoedel)

From Ben's book fragment on Pennsylvania Dutch cookery - pg 9

0 - the recipe asks for calf's liver, but what about other kinds of liver? ALSO, can these be rolled out into noodles, or only into balls? And how big should the balls be?

1 lb calf's liver (would lamb or pig work as well?)
1 onion
1 Tbsp butter
Salt and pepper
2 eggs
1/2 cup flour
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp dried marjoram

  1. Simmer the liver in boiling water for 30 minutes.
  2. Trim off any skin or ligaments and grind the liver fine. Season with salt and pepper.
  3. Mince the onion, add the butter, beat the eggs and add them.
  4. Work into this paste the flour, using enough to make the paste quite stiff.
  5. Form into small balls (how small?) and poach them in any meat soup for 15 minutes.
  6. Serve them swimming in the soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment