There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Test 2 - Pennsylvania Dutch Country Bean Soup

From a fragment of an old cookbook - don't know the title since there is no cover.

1 - This was surprisingly good. Almost like baked beans but with less sweet in. I'd like to find a substitute for the canned tomato sauce, but because it is a thick liquid, it really seems to make a difference.
2 - Again, a very good soup. I could experiment with optional herbs.
3 - Added a bay leaf and used a can of tomato paste instead of sauce.

1 lb soup beans
7 cups fresh water
1 ham bone
1 onion, chopped
1 cup celery, diced
1 can tomato sauce
1 small potato, diced
2 tsps parsley, minced
salt and pepper
4 hard boiled egg, diced

  1. Soak the beans in water overnight.
  2. Drain, add fresh water and simmer with the ham bone until the beans are cooked, about 2 hours.
  3. Add the remaining ingredients and simmer until the veg are soft.
  4. Remove the ham bone, trim it of any meat. Chop up the meat and add it to the soup, along with the hard boiled egg.

No comments:

Post a Comment