There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Saturday, January 13, 2018

Pork Pot Pie with Dumplings - PUBLISHED

From Ben's book fragment on Pennsylvania Dutch cookery - pg 14
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/nancy-fuller/porky-pot-pie-with-cheesy-drop-biscuits-3279833
https://lamouffettegourmande.blogspot.com/2012/10/chicken-stew-with-dumplings.html

0 - This can definitely be improved upon, and in talking to Ben, he made an interesting point; it could be that, since this is a pretty old-school cookery book, that there is an assumption that you know how to cook so you will add whatever flavouring you think is suitable. A) what can I do instead of boiling the meat? We will try it boiled just for the experience, but I suspect I will want to brown it instead. B) create links with the Sausage Patties recipe (if you cut the sausage into 1inch pieces, why not just use the sausage patty recipe and make balls?) C) Which dumpling recipe? Would the one for the chicken stew work? It is cooked, covered, so it should be ok. D)There is no mention of seasoning or herbs - I will add these and write down my preferences.
1 - You may have noticed that the list of ingredients has quadrupled. The stew is very flavorful, which means the dumplings were a bit dull when paired with it. Some strong herbs or cheese may balance things. I also crumbled the sausage, and quite liked it like that, but noted that the recipe lists 1" pieces. Do I continue with how I did it or try this other way?
Ben also suggested that the dumplings were huge - maybe use a wide pot so they can float independently and/or make less batter for smaller dumplings.
2 - Making it in a large soup pot makes most sense. The dumplings as plenty of room to cook and had a nice consistency. I thought there was too much liquid in the stew and reduced it, but now realize that this was a mistake. It may look like a lot, but it needs it.
3 - Graduated to Test 1. Put it on plates instead of bowl and the spill of stewed bits with the cloud of dumpling on top was quite attractive.
4 - Worked again beautifully. I added cabbage (instead of the optional kale) and it was great. Graduating this to Test 2.
5 - I did something a little different, I added the onions and garlic to the sausage meat after the moisture from the meat had cooked off. I think it worked well and forced me to wait until the onion was cooked, which means the meat was thoroughly browned. It also saved me a couple of steps and a little time. I'm trying to track the time it takes to make a dish, and I turned on my stopwatch, and remembered to check it 13hours later...

1 Tbsp fat (veg oil or lard)
8oz pork loin cut into ¼" pieces
1 lb sausage in 1" pieces or crumbled, to taste
½ tsp salt
Black pepper to taste
1 Tbsp fat (veg oil or lard)
½ onion (4oz/115g) chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
¼ cup flour
¼ cup brandy or cognac (whiskey will do in a pinch)
3 cups chicken broth or stock 
¼ cup heavy cream 
2 medium carrots, sliced 
8oz potatoes, cubed smallish
OPTIONAL 1½ cups fine chopped kale or cabbage
  1. This is a one-pot meal so be sure to have a pot big enough to contain the filling and allow for the dumplings to rise and spread. 
  2. Heat the pot for a few minutes then add the fat. Brown the cubed pork and set aside. 
  3. You should have at least 2 Tbsps. of fat from cooking the meat. If not, add some butter or more lard. 
  4. In the hot leftover oil, cook the sausage. 
  5. When the excess moisture from the meat has mostly evaporated, add the onions and garlic to the sausage, stirring until soft and transparent. 
  6. Stir in the flour until completely combined. Take the time to brown the flour in the fat to cook away pasty raw flour taste. Pour in the cognac or brandy or whiskey and combine, stirring constantly until the sharp alcoholic aroma leaves the liquor and is reduced, at least by half. The bottom of your pot will likely be dark brown with cooked-on fond. This is great! 
  7. Add the chicken broth and cream, and stir to combine. If it looks a bit lumpy, don't worry, it'll smooth out during the simmering. You can also spend some time loosening some of the fond by scraping the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon.
  8. Add the browned pork (and the kale if using) and bring to a simmer and braise until the pork is fork tender, about ½ hour. 
  9. Stir in carrots and potatoes. Return to a simmer and cook another 15 minutes before adding the dumplings.
Dumplings
1¼  cups flour
3½  tsps. baking powder
½  tsp salt
½  cup milk
1 egg
OPTIONAL : ½ tsp dry herb that complements the flavor of your sausage
  1. Mix together dry ingredients just before adding to the pot. Letting the batter sit isn't good. 
  2. In a separate bowl, mix milk and egg together. 
  3. Dump wet over dry and mix briefly, only enough that the dry and wet are well blended. 
  4. Divide dough into four portions and gently plop on top of the stew in the pot. 
  5. Cover and cook 15 minutes. NOTE: Do not lift lid until done.

No comments:

Post a Comment