There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Monday, January 22, 2018

Split Pea Soup - Published

http://www.vintagerecipes.net/books/twentyfive_cent_dinners/oatmeal_and_peas.php

1 - This is surprisingly good! The oatmeal makes lends and unctuous texture that is quite pleasing. I could try it, next time, with some Frenchifying flavours like bay and/or thyme, maybe some carrot? I thought of adding stock instead of just water, but frankly, I don't think it needs it.
2 - I've made this a couple of times now, and it is quite lovely. The herbs I think are optional, which means I can play with what flavours I may or may not want in the soup.

2 slices of thick bacon
2 onions, chopped
3 tsps of salt (to taste)
1 tsp of sugar
1/2 tsp of pepper
12 cups cold water
2 cups of yellow split peas
4 oz (1 cup) of oatmeal
Optional: 1 sprig thyme, 1 bay leaf and/or 1 large carrot
  1. Cut the pork into lardons.
  2. Together, combine the lardons and the onion in a soup pot and cook, rendering the fat at medium heat, for about ten minutes.
  3. Season with the salt, sugar, and pepper, then add the cold water and the peas.
  4. If using, also add the aromatic(s) and/or the carrot.
  5. Bring to a boil and then simmer until the peas become quite soft.
  6. Stir in the oatmeal and simmer for another twenty minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment