There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Pennsylvania Cole Slaw, Frenchified - Test 1

From Ben's fragment of a Pennsylvania Dutch cookery book, pg 21
http://www.ellenskitchen.com/bigpots/slawtips.html

1 - I changed the recipe quite a bit, mostly by adding a few things, being more specific on some ingredients and on method. Next time I would like to try replacing the cider vinegar with white wine vinegar.
2 - I got rave reviews on this without wilting it in boiling water first. I've made this optional in the recipe.

1lb 8oz green cabbage cut into 1/8" strips
1 Tbsp salt and boiling water
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar TRY white wine vinegar (should be no more than 4% acid)
3/4 tsp salt 
4 oz carrots, grated
Optional : 1 - 2 Tbsps parsley
  1. Factor about 1lb 8oz of cabbage for 5 people as a side.
  2. (optional) Bring some water to a boil. Put the sliced cabbage in a large bowl, sprinkle with the Tbsp of salt, and cover with the boiling water. Let stand for up to an hour, then rinse and leave in a collander to drip a bit.
  3. Whisk together the cream, sugar, vinegar and salt.
  4. Dump the cabbage in a large bowl, add the carrot and optional parsley and toss well.
  5. Add the dressing and toss to cover evenly. 
  6. It's at its best when it's had a chance to chill in the refrigerator for a couple of hours before serving.
1/2 cup cream
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup vinegar
1 tsp salt
1 head young cabbage
  1. Beat cream, sugar, vinegar and salt together thoroughly until the dressing is like whipped cream. 
  2. Discard outer leaves of cabbage. Shred the rest finely and combine with dressing just before it is ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment