There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Grilled Salmon - Testing

Make sure your grill is clean. Rub the cooking grate with a thin layer of oil. Heat the grill, either charcoal or gas, to medium-high (you should be able to hold your hand about 1 inch above the cooking grate for 3 to 4 seconds before pulling it away from the heat). A properly heated grill will help keep the fish from sticking excessively while also cooking it gently and thoroughly without setting it aflame.

Properly heat grill for cooking salmon

While the grill heats, prepare the salmon fillet(s): Rinse them and pat them dry. If you feel like it or have particular eaters sitting at your table, use tweezers to pull out the pin bones (pull them out in the direction at which they're coming out for the smoothest results). Don't see any pin bones? Run your finger down the "seam" of the fillet—you'll feel them. Brush the salmon skin with oil. Sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper to season.


Brush the cooking grate with oil. Turn off the middle burner to cook over indirect heat. Place the salmon, skin-side-down, on the grill and close the lid. Cook, undisturbed, until the salmon just starts to release its fat (opaque mayonnaise-like stuff) and/or the flesh flakes easily, 10 to 15 minutes for most 1 inch thick fillets. Allow another 10 minutes for each extra inch of thickness. Use a spatula to remove the fish from the grill.

Cook salmon on grill until flaky

Serve grilled salmon immediately. Offer lemon wedges so people can spritz their salmon with fresh lemon juice, or serve with the garnish of your choice (fresh herbs are nice).


No comments:

Post a Comment