There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Thursday, May 2, 2019

Pork or Lamb Dhansak - PUBLISHED

https://www.bbc.com/food/recipes/lamb_dhansak_79850

1 - I am substituting the lamb for pork. Given that we have pigs on the farm and no sheep, it seems fitting that I do so, given that we are trying to feed ourselves. I also want to use the slow cooker (to keep temps low in summer) and 300F is likely the equivalent to 'High' on my unit according to this source.
1.1 - I forgot to put a timer on! I cubed pork steaks and put them in the slow cooker at about 2pm? And it's now 6pm and the meat is quite cooked. I suspect that the grain is overly pronounced in this cut of meat, giving it a stringy texture, but I'll wait and see what my audience thinks. I would like to standardize the amount of salt for a starting point to get the seasoning right - I think I put in about 1 tsp this time.
1.2 - Woops, I only but in 1 cardamom pod instead of the prescribed 10 (which seems like a lot).
1.3 - It worked! 
2 - Tried pork loin (chops) and it was dry. It could be I left it to cook on High for too long. I've had good results with the pork chops for pulled pork recipes, but maybe in chunks like this stew it isn't right.
3 - Yes, it worked well again, and I suspect it's better baked rather than in the slow cooker. Not sure why though, so I likely should make it again but in the slow cooker, soon. I've added steamed pumpkin (I guess just squash in general would do) - the sweet but plain flesh seems like a nice counterpoint to the highly flavored dhansak.
4 - Yes, another positive reaction. In fact, I didn't have enough red lentils and substituted with French lentils and it worked just fine, gobbled by everyone who partook. I also used fresh tomatoes again and it did not go amiss. The big confirmation is that steamed pumpkin is a positive and nearly essential component - the sweet yet bland flesh is a perfect counterpoint to the savory, heavily spiced meat. Graduating to Test 1.
5 - Yup, yet again, success. :) And I was able to reproduce the effect using a pork leg roast this time.

2+1 Tbsps mild oil
1 kg/2lb 4oz diced lamb or pork (or pork steaks) shoulder or leg, or a mixture of both
2 onions, chopped
25g/1oz fresh root ginger, finely grated
4 garlic cloves, pressed
2 red chillies, seeds removed, finely chopped
1 green cardamom pod, finely ground
1½ Tbsp ground cumin
1½ Tbsp ground coriander
½ Tbsp ground turmeric
1 x 400g/14oz can chopped tomatoes or the equivalent in fresh chopped tomato
200ml/7fl oz beef stock
75g/2½oz red lentils
3 2 Tbsps honey or maple syrup
1 tsp salt 
1/2 tsp pepper
To serve
Savoury Rice
Steamed pumpkin pieces
  1. NOTE: this can prepared in the oven or in the slow cooker. Refer to points 9 and 10 in the instructions for the type of cooking you choose to use.
  2. Heat two Tbsps of oil in a large frying pan. Sear the meat until it is browned on all sides. Put in the cooking pot.
  3. Add the remaining oil to the pan. Add the onion and fry for 4-5 minutes, or until beginning to soften.
  4. Meanwhile, combine the ginger, garlic and chilli.
  5. Remove the cardamom seeds from their husks and grind them to a fine powder in a pestle and mortar. 
  6. Add the garlic and ginger mixture to the pan along with ground cardamom and the remaining spices.
  7. Add the tomatoes and beef stock to the pan and deglaze. When all the good browned bits are loose from the bottom, pour into the cooking pot.
  8. Mix in the honey or maple syrup and the red lentils. 
  9. SLOW COOKER METHOD: Turn the slow cooker on High and cook for 3 hours or until tender. 
  10. BAKED METHOD: Preheat the oven to 300F. Use a casserole and cover to cook for 1½ hours or until the meat is fall-apart tender.
  11. Check the seasoning and serve with rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment