There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Herbed Mashed Turnip and Carrot - Untested

http://www.lordbyronskitchen.com/mashed-turnip-and-carrots-with-herb-butter/

1 large turnips or rutabaga, peeled and diced into 1 inch pieces (about 4 cups)
3 large carrots, peeled and chopped into 1 inch pieces (about 4 cups)
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 cup butter
1 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves
2 Tbsps fresh parsley, finely chopped
2 Tbsps green onion, chives finely chopped

  1. Add the turnip and carrot to a large stock pot and add enough water to cover the vegetables. Add half a teaspoon of salt and, over medium-high heat, cook the vegetables until fork tender. This should take about 30 minutes. The carrot might be cooked a few minutes before the turnip, because turnip tends to be a harder vegetable, but don't worry about overcooking the carrot.
  2. Drain the vegetables and add the other half teaspoon of salt, the pepper, butter, thyme, parsley, and green onion.
  3. Using a masher, mash the turnip and carrot until the consistency of mashed potatoes. Lastly, stir the mixture together to ensure even distribution of the butter and herbs. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment