There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Monday, September 16, 2019

Spicy bean and beef stew - Untested

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3328/spicy-beef-stew-with-beans-and-peppers

3½ Tbsps vegetable oil
2 lbs stewing beef cut into chunks
1 onion, sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbsp flour
1 Tbsp black treacle
1 tsp cumin
400g can diced tomato
2 1/2 cups beef stock
2 red peppers, seeds removed and sliced
1lb reconstituted or 1/2 lb dry cannellini beans
Sour cream and fresh coriander, to serve
  1. In a large saucepan with a lid, brown the meat, adding 1 Tbsp of oil at-a-time, browning in batches to avoid crowding. Season meat, then cook about one-third over a high heat for 10 mins until browned. Tip onto a plate and repeat with 2 tbsp of oil and rest of the meat.

Add a splash of water and scrape pan to remove bits. Add ½ tbsp oil. Turn heat down, fry onion and garlic until softened. Return meat to the pan, add flour and stir for 1 min. Add treacle, cumin, tomatoes and stock. Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 hr 45 mins. Stir occasionally and check that the meat is covered with liquid.

Add peppers and beans, and cook for a further 15 mins. The stew can now be cooled and kept in the fridge for 2 days, or frozen for 1 month. Serve in bowls, with sour cream, coriander and cornbread.

No comments:

Post a Comment