There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Apple Crumble - PUBLISHED


  1. I've made this twice, now, and both times it was good, but I've tweaked it both times. I've used this version altered from the web site indicated.
  2. The balance of sweet is right. Awesome. The Testing phase is over, now onto the 3 levels of approval. And I have quite a few of our fall apples left from our volunteer tree. 
  3. Diced the apples and quite liked it. I feel like it gave everything more loft.
2 lb apples, diced (weight before peeling and coring)
1 Tbsp flour
1/4 cup white sugar
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 cup water
--
1 1/4 cup quick cook rolled oats 
1 1/4 cup flour
3/4 cup brown sugar (loosely packed)
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup melted butter
  1. Preheat oven to 350F.
  2. In a large bowl toss the cut apples with the flour, sugar and cinnamon, then pour over the water. Toss again before spreading out evenly in a 2 quart baking dish. 
  3. Mix together all the dry ingredients for the topping, then pour in the melted butter and mix until it takes on an evenly crumbly consistency.
  4. Spread this over the apples, but don't pack down. Try to maintain the crumbly texture.
  5. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until golden brown and some of the filling is bubbling around the edges. Remove, cover loosely with foil to keep warm and let stand for 10 minutes before serving (let's the apple filling come together). Just as good at room temperature.
  6. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream!

No comments:

Post a Comment