There are always loads of recipes I'd like to try but lose them before I do. This is where I can record recipes I find interesting and keep notes on my experiments with them.

I have a system that I've adopted for working through recipes:

1 - New recipes are saved to the Experimental Mouffette and is labeled : Untested
2 - As I'm working out the changes I'd like to make (if any) it is labeled : Testing
3 - Once I think I've got the correct formula it is labeled : Test 1
4 - IF I am able to reproduce the effect a second time it is labeled : Test 2 - if I am not able to reproduce the effect, it remains Test 1
5 - The same process as step 4 is used to graduate it to Test 3
6 - Once I have been able to reproduce the effect successfully 3 times, it graduates to my main blog, La Mouffette Gourmande

European Union visitors, please visit the following link concerning cookies (the computer kind, not he eating kind) Blogger cookies

Friday, June 4, 2021

Braised Steaks - Testing


1 - Did it in 3hrs at High. Try next time for longer for 6hrs on Low. It was very good. Super tender and full of flavor. I'll want to use this as a base for different flavors, such as:
2 - Inconclusive. I futzed with the recipe and added ingredients from the short ribs braised in red wine and vanilla from the list above. It was good, but for unforeseen reasons it continued to cook for longer than expected, I don't know how long. Some parts were melt-in-your-mouth, while others were a bit tough. Overall, the flavour was good, though.
3 - I'm not changing the status but the recipe was fine. The reason I'm not changing the status is because I left the lid off the slow cooker for 2 hours before noticing!

2 rib steaks (about 2-3 lbs)
1/2 cup butter
Mirepoix: (Chopped onions, celery and carrots: 1 celery stalk (or 1 small branch lovage), 1 small yellow onion, 3 carrots)
1 Tbsp beef stock concentrate
1 cup water
2 tsps salt
1 tsp black pepper
  1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Remove steak from fridge and leave on counter until it reaches room temperature. Season steak with salt and pepper.
  2. Heat skillet on high for a couple of minutes (searing temperature is reached when a popcorn kernel pops). Add steak to hot pan and sear on both sides until each side is browned with a slight crust. Top the steak with the herbs. Add butter and let melt. (Use unsalted butter so you can control the level of salt in the overall dish.) Remove steak and decrease heat.
  3. Add celery, onion and carrots to butter drippings leftover from searing steak. Mix in water and bullion paste, scraping the bottom of the pot to incorporate drippings. Transfer beef and braising liquid to pot slow cooker. Cook on high in hot oven until beef is fork tender (6hrs?). DO NOT BOIL – the meat should be only slightly submerged, just enough to cook down.
  4. Once the beef is cooked, transfer liquid to a shallow pan and cook until the braising liquid becomes more like a sauce. Serve with potatoes or freshly sautéed green veggies.
  5. Note: Correspond cook times with weight of meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment